Beautiful Disaster is the first book in the Beautiful series by Jamie McGuire. This is one of my favorite romance books because it made me return to reading books in the same genre right after. And, with Valentine’s Day around the corner, this book surely deserves a feature as we celebrate love on this coming special day.
Goodreads Blurb of Beautiful Disaster
The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.
Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.
Reading Order of Beautiful Series
A Beautiful Wedding
Something Beautiful, a story of America (Abby’s best friend) and Shepley Maddox (Travis’ cousin), is excluded in this review.
To avoid spoilers, I chose not to give a summary of each of these books in the series and leave this part with just the reading order of the book.
Things I love about Jamie Mcguire’s Beautiful Series
1. Abby and Travis have convincing backstories.
Travis grew up with only his father and 4 brothers. His mother died when he was still young and left him with these last words,
“First, it’s okay to be sad. It’s okay to feel things. Remember that. Second, be a kid for as long as you can. Play games, Travis. Be silly”—her eyes glossed over—“and you and your brothers take care of each other, and your father. Even when you grow up and move away, it’s important to come home. Okay?”
“One of these days you’re going to fall in love, son. Don’t settle for just anyone. Choose the girl that doesn’t come easy, the one you have to fight for, and then never stop fighting. Never”—she took a deep breath—“stop fighting for what you want. And never”—her eyebrows pulled in—“forget that Mommy loves you. Even if you can’t see me.” A tear fell down her cheek. “I will always, always love you.”
Abby on the other hand was raised by his father who is a well-known gambler with drinking and temper problems. She is called Lucky Thirteen for a reason that his father’s luck ran dry when she turned 13 years old and Abby’s luck picked up.
2. Travis Maddox is my best book boyfriend
Travis Maddox is the best book boyfriend for the following reasons:
- He is gorgeous and sexy.
- He opens the door for his girl.
- He notices what his girl is missing and her needs.
- He can dance.
- He is smart and can tutor you in Biology.
- He drives a Harley.
- He is a fighter not only in the ring but also in life. He fights for his girl.
- He knows how to organize a surprise birthday party for his girl.
- He will hold your hair while you vomit after a drinking spree.
“I turned to see his expression. When I saw that he was serious, I shot him a dubious look. “Sleeping in between the toilet and the tub on a cold, hard tile floor with a vomiting idiot was one of your best nights? That’s sad, Trav.”
“No, sitting up with you when you’re sick and you falling asleep in my lap was one of my best night.”
“Thanks, Trav. I won’t make you babysit me again.”
He leaned against his pillow. “Whatever. No one can hold your hair back like I can.”
- He can be a jealous dude but I find it reasonable.
- He can have your name tattooed on his body with a Hebrew line that says,
“I belong to my beloved, and my beloved is mine.”
- He can change in an instant for the better and marry you on the spot.
I must say that“Let me guess, it’s the love of your life?” I said quoting Travis’ statement about his motorcycle.
“No, it’s a car. The love of my life will be a woman with my last name.”
Travis can also be an asshole in several instances but it’s for you to find out because I already have a bias.
3. Abby Abernathy is the best heroine
- She is not an easy girl.
- She is beautiful and sexy as well.
- She is the lucky thirteen and can hustle her way on a gambling table.
- She is smart in math.
- She can cook.
- She can handle difficult things such as dealing with her drunk and gambler father.
- She knows how to deal with the goons, Las Vegas goons for that.
- She can drink and dance and never loses in a bet.
4. Abby and Travis’s tandem is crazy and disastrous but their personalities and stories are beautifully intertwined.
“It’s dangerous to need someone that much. You’re trying to save him and he’s hoping you can. You two are a disaster.” I smiled at the ceiling. “It doesn’t matter what or why it is. When it’s good, Kara… it’s beautiful.”
5. Abby and Travis’ story is full of emotions. I find it realistic and I can relate to them in many ways.
6. Both of them can be frustrating at times but you can actually feel what they are going through.
In my case, these moments in the book make me connect to their story even more because they make you feel the emotions and what they are going through.
“Each time I did something to push him away, I was terrified it would work.”
7. I love the nicknames, Mare and Pigeon
8. I love the floating fight ring and Travis introduction.
“Our next fighter doesn’t need an introduction, but because he scares the shit outta me, I’ll give him one, anyway! Shake in your boots, boys, and drop your panties, ladies! I give you: Travis “Mad Dog’ Maddox.
9. I love their pet dog and how Travis gets an idea from the Wizard of Oz.
10. The Vegas experience is badass and the second is sweet.
Overall Rating and Final Thoughts on Beautiful Disaster and the Book Series
Revisiting one of my favorite series containing the books, Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster is my pre-Valentines Day post here on my blog. The first book, Beautiful Disaster, is actually the reason that I returned to reading romance stories. I reread Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster prior to writing this post.
Above, I listed the things that I like best about the Beautiful Series by Jamie McGuire. As much as I can, I tried to avoid spoilers on this post so you can enjoy reading them if you haven’t yet. If the things I listed here about Beautiful Series interest you, then I suggest you grab a copy of the books in this series now and binge-read them prior to Valentine’s Day. Travis and Abby’s story is not perfect. It is crazy and frustrating in some instances but it is a story that is relatable and is beautifully intertwined. It is one true love story that you can believe in and can cling to when you need some sweet escape or some reason to continue fighting for the one you love.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.